Rhubarb cake recipe.
A friend at my running club has an allotment and had lots of rhubarb to give away the night so I was lucky enough to get to take some. I love rhubard- it's so tasty and you can do so much with it.
One thing I normally due is just wash it under cold water, then cut off and dispose of the ends and cut it into chunks then put into a pan over a wee bit heat - not full on - for a few minutes. Give it a wee stir every so often but when it is broken down and easily stirred it is done. Only takes about 5-10 minutes. I sometimes add sugar -a couple of teaspoons - or ginger.
You can serve it over ice cream, with porridge or have it on it's own!
I had a search around recipes and found one i had not done before courtesy of Sainsbury's. It's got a crumble top so you could serve it warm with some cream or ice cream or creme fraiche and honey....yum..
So here's the recipe...
Ingredients for the cake
Juice of 1/2 Lemon.
165 g of Self Raising Flour.
175 g of Unsalted Butter.
175 g Caster Sugar.
3 Large Free Range Eggs.
2 tsp.Vanilla Extract.
Ingredients for the topping.
2 tbsp. Self Raising Flour.
1 tbsp. Caster Sugar.
2 tsp. Ground Ginger.
1 tbsp. Icing Sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23cms square cake and line with baking parchment.
2. Trim the rhubarb and chop into 3cm pieces. Put in bowl and pour over lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl, beat butter, flour,sugar, vanilla extract and eggs together to get a smooth mix.
4. Fold n half the rhubarb and pour mix into tin. Then drop the rest of the rhubarb on top of mix.
5. Make the topping so rub the butter into flour, then stir in the sugar and ginger.Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes - check it is ready by putting in a skewer and if it comes out clean it is ready.
6. Keep in tin for 10 mins after taking it out of the oven then take it out of tin. Sprinkle the top with the sifted icing sugar. Cut into squares - serve warm or cold.
Enjoy!! I certainly did! Val.x